Click on the image to see a larger view.
The Poor House, or Poor Farm or Almshouse, was erected along a stretch of Middle Turnpike in 1912. In present times, this plot of land is occupied by the police department's main facility.
The Almshouse was renovated in 1954 by Chief Schendel's volunteer crew of police officers. The town's leaders were faced with an outside contractor's original bid of $150,000. The officers, working without pay, converted the facility for half that cost. Oh, one exception, John Krinjak was paid for laying 9,000 square feet of flooring and tile because of his labor skills. John was the brother of our own Dave Krinjak, and would later become a detective.
John Knoll photo