Click on the image to see a larger view.
The Daughters of the American Revolution, Orford Parish Chapter donated this fountain to the town on July 9, 1921 in memory of the soldiers of the Orford Parish who fought in the American revolution. Miss Mary Cheney was second Regent of Orford Parish Chapter (1897-1901) and most likely provided the money for the fountain. Its original location is shown here where it served as a watering trough for horses and people for about 10 years. During the renovation of East Center Street it was moved to the Hartford Road and Main Street terminus. Later it resided at the Bunce School on Olcott Street. About 1960 it was moved down the street to the highway garage. The Orford Parish Chapter has since had it moved back to Center Park, next to the Probate Court in 1975.
John Knoll photo