Click on the image to see a larger view.
The Old Methodist Episcopal Church stood on the corner of Main Street and Hartford Road where now stands South United Methodist Church. The woman at far left with the baby carriage is passing by a fountain, which served as a watering place for horses back in its day. The fountain now resides in the parking lot immediately west of the Cheney homestead on the south side of Hartford Road. This photo is taken looking northwest where we see the beginning of Hartford Road. Old Methodist Episcopal Church was erected in 1854.
John Knoll photo