Click on the image to see a larger view.
Cheney Hall was dedicated by Horace Greeley in 1867 as a meeting place for employees of Cheney Brothers. It was also used at various times throughout its history as a library, church, political hall, school, theater, concert hall, armory, ballroom, basketball arena, hospital, sales outlet for Cheney produced goods, and home of the county fair. Here, in this photo, folks are celebrating the centennial of Manchester, and the year is 1923.
The architecture is that of the French Second Empire style. Features include mansard roof, brick and brownstone arches, carved oak and chestnut trim and a magnificently restored 1866 E. & G. G. Hook tracker organ.
John Knoll photo