Click on the image to see a larger view.
The Orford Hotel originally occupied this Main Street landmark back in 1894. It featured a two-story amusement hall along with a banquet hall that seated 200. In the 1920's Quinn's Pharmacy and Manchester Plumbing & Supply occupied the ground floor businesses.
The Marlow family moved the store to this building in 1924, moving from the one story brick structure on the north side of Brainard Place, which has served as a bike shop and currently (2015) an art framing store.
They applied to buy the building several times, finally succeeding in 1938, when the owner wasn't able to keep up the mortgage payments.
Dick Jenkins photo