Now Placing Radio in SMFD Equipment
Five Mobile Units to Go In Pumps, Base Station at Spruce Street, Two Handi-Talkies
from the Manchester Evening Herald, Friday, August 24, 1951.

Construction and installation of radio equipment for the mobile units of the South Manchester Fire department is in progress now, Fire Chief James Schaub announced today. Tax payers in the district voted at the last district meeting to appropriate funds to add this new equipment. A temporary permit, known as a Construction Permit, has been issued and an application is now on file with the Federal Communications Commission in Washington, D.C.

A 30-watt base station has been installed at Fire Headquarters on Spruce Street. The five mobile units will be 12-watt units. Units have already been installed in the pumper trucks of companies two, three and four and another will be installed later in company one's pumper. There is an additional unit in the chief's car as well. Two portable units, known as handi-talkies, will be kept in the chief's car and used at the scene of fires by the chief and assistant chief. The equipment is made by the Motorola Company.

Operators' Permits

Permits for operators' licenses have been filed in Boston. All regular men, the night men at company three and the spare man will receive permits as operators.

Supervisor of installation is Edmund Aleks of Middlefield, Conn., from the Motorola Company. Fred Edwards will be the licensed operator and maintenance man.

Aleks conducted an instruction course for all day men this week on broadcasting and receiving. He will give the same course to night men next week.

Already Used

The new radio equipment has been pressed into service already, Chief Schaub said. It was used last week to secure additional help at Salter's Pond the day of the accidental drowning. Last Sunday night it was used to turn back apparatus on the way to the Green in answer to alarm box 85 when it was discovered that no fire was evident. The set is very powerful, the Chief continued. In an experimental test he said broadcasting and receiving from the bridge in Windsor Locks was clearly heard.

Since being named chief, Schaub has sent two pumpers out on all calls received. Recently companies two and three were called to Birch Street to put out a fire. From his observation upon reaching the scene, Chief Schaub immediately radioed company two's pumper, on the way to the scene, to hook up at the Main and Birch Street hydrant upon arrival. This was done quickly and saved precious moments in getting the equipment ready for quick action.