These reprints may interest historians and genealogists. Some have appeared in publications such as the former Manchester Evening Herald, the former Manchester Life, the Journal Inquirer, the former Reminder News, the Manchester Storytellers book (published by the Manchester Historical Society), the Cruisin' on Main tab, and in our own Courier newsletter. To find a particular article...
Articles on this page are grouped into related categories. Click one of the following links to help find article(s) that interest you.
. . . Or, Alternatively, This . . .
• Click the Vintage Reproductions link, to see reproductions of booklets and magazine articles from the 1800s and early 1900s, shown in their original publication format.
• Click the www.mhs1955.com link, for articles that were originally part of the www.mhs1955.com website, which Dick Jenkins gave us permission to copy over to our Historical Society website, as Dick phased out the MHS1955 website at the end of 2011.
• Click the Loom Exhibit link, to see articles about the on-going development of the project to exhibit looms donated to the Society by Anthony and Paula Viscogliosi (from Scalamandré) and other looms and equipment.
• Check out our Flyers page. While these flyers were intended as informational materials on guided hikes, many of them contain items of historical interest. For example, the Hilliardville walk flyer contains a reproduction of E.E.Hilliard's obituary; while the Richard Otis Cheney mansion flyer contains an architectural drawing of the building plus a bibliography of historical sources.
. . . Or Perhaps This . . .
You may be able to use your browser to electronically scan the page for a sequence of characters, such as memoir Not sure how? Please click (toggle to show / hide text)
The mechanics of such a search will vary by browser. For example...
• On Microsoft Internet Explorer, click Edit at the top of the page, and then click Find on this page..." on the drop-down list. Input the character string and, if it's on the page, you'll be brought to the first occurrence. You can then click "Next" or "Previous" to navigate the occurrences.
• On Microsoft Edge, click the at the upper right of the page, and then click "Find on page" on the list of options. Input the character string and, if it's on the page, you'll be brought to the first occurrence. You can then click the "<" and ">" symbols to navigate the occurrences.
• On Firefox, click Edit at the top of the page, and then click Find" on the drop-down list. At the bottom of the page, input the character string in the box labeled "Find in page" and, if it's on the page, you'll be brought to the first occurrence. You can then click the "^" and "v" symbols to navigate the occurrences.
• On an Android device, click the at the upper right of the page, and then click "Find on page" on the list of options. Input the character string and, if it's on the page, you'll be brought to the first occurrence as you type. You can then click the "^" and "v" symbols to navigate the occurrences.
• If you have a different device, check the user's manual on how to find text strings on a page, or input a query for it within Google or in Ask.com.
. . . Or, Lastly, Check Out . . .
If that doesn't work, a Google search may help. To find an article on a particular topic, type the topic into the text box and...
• Click the "Search Reprints" button to perform a Google search of the Reprints portion of this website, or
• Click the "Search This Site" button to perform a Google search of all of this web site to find a match.
|Note: Items in bold denote the major-topic/sort-criteria used in alphabetizing the contents.|
|People Then & Now|
|Manchester, Center of Historic Architecture (Platt, Richardson, Billings, Stanford White, et al) by Susan Barlow; many notable architects designed Manchester buildings!|
|Gladys Adams (1910-2001), historian and author; 1992 profile in the former "Manchester Extra." Gladys wrote this history of Buckland a 130-page book about the northwest section of Manchester.|
|Herbert Bengtson (1913-2010), former Town historian, talks about his family's "Swedish connection" to Manchester|
|What is Manchester Today? by Joe Camposeo, presented at Cheney Hall, June 13, 2015|
|Julia Chase Brand: A Leading Pioneer by Jeré Longman (New York Times article, dated October 25, 2011)|
|Women in the Manchester Road Race: A Matter of Gender (Julia Chase-Brand et al) by Ana Foley-Schain|
|Charles Cheney, (1803-1874) funeral, 1874 Courant article.|
|Frank Woodbridge Cheney's, 1901 essay about the Underground Railroad; his father, Charles Cheney, lived for a time in Ohio, where he hid escaping slaves.|
|Charles Cheney, (1803-1874) street name. Charles Cheney lived for a time in Ohio, where he was a part of the Underground Railroad. This 1999 reprint describes the naming of a street after him. Charles did return to Manchester and was involved in the family silk business.|
|Charles Cheney, (1866-1942), served as president and chairman of the board of Cheney brothers. This reprint includes pictures, an obituary, and notes about the mansion where he lived.|
|Cynthia Cheney Childs's, memories of Cheney Hall, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from the Manchester Evening Herald, November 23, 1966. Cynthia Russell Cheney Childs (1908-1977) was the daughter of John Davenport and Mary Wilcox Cheney, and granddaughter of Frank Woodbridge and Mary Bushnell Cheney. Thanks to Dick Jenkins for finding this article.|
|Howell Cheney, obituary of Howell Cheney (1870-1957), reprinted from the Manchester Evening Herald.|
|Howell Cheney School, notes about the technical school in Manchester named for Howell Cheney (1870-1957).|
|Mary Cheney Manchester philanthropist, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, January 25, 1967.|
|Ralph Cheney, obituary of Ralph Cheney (1806-1897), reprinted from the South Manchester News.|
|Roger Cheney, 1907-1990, biographical sketch, "Roger W. Cheney, Manchester Connecticut and Santa Fe New Mexico."|
|Russell Cheney, catalogue of a 2001 exhibit at the Cheney Homestead, by Mary Dunne.|
|Russell Cheney Manchester artist, by Susan Barlow.|
|Seth Wells Cheney obituary, 1856 New York Times.|
|Sophie née Bissell Cheney (1842-1916) obituary. Sophie married Richard Otis Cheney in 1863. (Her first name is spelled Sophie on her gravestone; note that the newspaper spells it Sophia).|
|Ward Cheney (1813-1876) obituary. Ward was President of Cheney Brothers 1855-1876.|
|Friendship: He was Dick [Cobb] and I was Johnnie by John H. McHugh|
|John Dormer, Volunteer with Manchester Historical Society by Mike Walsh|
|"Honest Douglas" [Dumas] – Used Cars On Main Street by Susan Barlow|
|Leon Fallot Brings 47-Year Photo Career to End by Malcolm Barlow|
|Remembrance: Lee Fracchia by Susan Barlow|
|"Life and Times of Jeremiah Grady (1815-1897) by James Wood; includes information about Mr. Grady's grandson, Jerry Fay (1897-1978), Manchester Sports Hall of Fame member.|
|Tailor Joe Grimaldi Marks 50 Years Of Business On Spruce Street (Hartford Courant article, dated April 7, 2015 by Michael Walsh)|
|Anna Grimason's family album 95-page booklet of family pictures and history, created in the 1990s.|
|Lifelong Resident Elena Gutzmer (1923-2013) by Mike Walsh|
|Elena Gutzmer photo collection courtesy of her daughter, Gail (Gutzmer) Peck|
|The Hibbard Family in the Old North End by Susan Barlow|
|50th Anniversary of the Hibbard Family store in the North End as published in the South Manchester News, April 2, 1897|
|Elisha Hilliard Cooper, illustrated book about a descendant of the Hilliard family, famous in Manchester for the Hilliard Woolen Mills in the Hilliardville section of Manchester.|
|Mrs. Howe's Maternity Home, illustrated notes about Mary Howe's maternity home at 52 Wadsworth Street, by Susan Barlow and Noreen Cullen.|
|Conversations About the North End With Wally Irish from a 2005 interview by Fred D'Angelo|
|William H. Jones and His Memoirs by Susan Barlow|
|Coach Tom Kelley by Pete Zanardi, Manchester Evening Herald, 2/12/1966; thanks to researcher Dick Jenkins for finding this article|
|An Extraordinary Photographer, John Knoll, Jr. by Susan Barlow|
|Woman of Year Award, Hazel Lutz, Manchester Evening Herald, 10/6/1966|
|Othniel Charles Marsh by (author unknown)|
|Tim McCann's letters from Vietnam, 1970, reprinted from "Old Manchester II...The Storytellers," published by the Manchester Historical Society in 1995.|
|Joe McCluskey, "Manchester's Greatest Runner" compiled by Susan Barlow|
|Honoring Joseph McCluskey, a speech by Rick Dyer on 5/19/2017 at a reception at the History Center, Manchester.|
|Connecticut AAU track meet results on letterhead of Manchester "Y," director Joseph McCluskey 06/22/1947. Note that track standout and Olympian Joe McCluskey, brother of John McCluskey mentioned below, returned to Manchester after serving in WWII, and became director of the "Y" in Manchester's North End.|
|Newspaper clippings about a January 1937 track meet in Boston and crowd favorite Joseph McCluskey (1911-2002). Joe is credited with helping revive the Manchester Thanksgiving Day road race after WWII.|
|Manchester Herald, 06/23/1973 article on "Shufflin' Joe" McCluskey.|
|Honoring John E. McCluskey by Susan Barlow|
|Memoirs Reveal Manchester History by Susan Barlow|
|Dr. D.C.Y. Moore reprinted obituaries from The Hartford Courant|
|Manchester's Amazing Moriarty Brothers by Gerald Demeusey, Hartford Courant, August 19, 1951|
|Moriarty Gets Chamber Award, Hartford Courant, August 16, 1964|
|Photographer & Teacher Sylvian "Sinch" Ofiara honored for his legacy to Eastern CT Health Network in its 2013 Annual Report|
|Memoir by Sylvian "Sinch" Ofiara, "When Capitalism Came to Hackmatack Street," illustrated booklet of memories of Manchester in the 1930s. Also see: photos by Sinch and photos from his collection on this website.|
|My Work in the WAVES: An Interview with Dorothy Gaynell (Denton) Olcott by Susan Barlow|
|One of a Kind ... The Grass Man (obituary of James B. Olcott) by Rev. Dr. George W. Reynolds|
|Remembrances of James B. Olcott by (various)|
|The Storrs Agricultural School: Its Formal Opening... by James B. Olcott to the Hartford Daily Courant|
|"Herald the Reggie Pinto Exhibit! Forty Years of Manchester Photos" by Jacqueline Bennett|
|The Pitkins, of Manchester, one of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, June 28, 1967.|
|Cigars and the Pohlmann Family compiled from various sources|
|Fred B. Pohlman, Cigar Maker by Earl Yost|
|Lewis M. Porter, Manchester Trail Maker by Susan Barlow, reprinted from Connecticut Woodlands, magazine of the Connecticut Forest & Park Association. His 1948 (revised 1964) Trail Map, of the Highland Park area.|
|Violet S. Reid reminisces about her father, the auctioneer, in this excerpt from the Storytellers book published by the Manchester Historical Society|
|Dave Rines: Manchester Man is a Machinist who Dismantles the Stereotypes by Susan Plese|
|Interview with Judge Jay E. Rubinow by Susan Barlow|
|Roger Schubert's memoir, "No Guns on Sunday" about growing up in the 1930s and 40s on Cooper Street.|
|Bob Samuelson Recalls Manchester's Early Days from an interview of September, 2006 by Fred D'Angelo|
|Emily Smith and International Friendship by Susan Barlow|
|Mathias Spiess - Manchester: Past Places, People by Anna McGuire, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, from The Manchester Evening Herald, May 10, 1967|
|"The Manchester Homicide, A Sketch of the Life of Albert L. Starkweather, The Murderer of His Mother and Sister, With a Full Report of His Trial and Conviction, and His Confession," by A.H. Hotchkiss, published 1866. The murders took place at the Starkweather home in the Oakland section of Manchester. Newspaper account of the murders, published August 3, 1865.|
|Tober Brothers and Meyer Tober -- baseball factory by Susan Barlow|
|In Memory of Frederick A. "Fred" Towle -- Obituary and Interview by Susan Barlow|
|Fred Ayer Verplanck articles by Harold E. Turkington and Dr. William E. Buckley|
|Thomas Weldon and the Downtown of Yore by Susan Barlow|
|Richard Whitehouse, "In Memoriam" article about conservationist and trail leader Dick Whitehouse, by editor Christine Woodside, reprinted with permission from CT Woodlands, the quarterly magazine of the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. Dick Whitehouse was instrumental for many years in the care of the Shenipsit Trail in the Highland Park section of Manchester|
|Dr. Francis H. Whiton excerpt from 1892 "MEN OF PROGRESS" published by New England magazine|
|Dr. Francis H. Whiton biographical excerpt from the Whiton Library website|
|The Wickhams and Their Park, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, September 28, 1966.|
|Places Then & Now|
|'Chute Saves Flyer When Ship [Airplane] Crashes from the Hartford Courant|
|The Many Lives of Apel's Opera House by Susan Barlow|
|An Irish play performed at Apel's Opera House, March 19, 1897|
|A Taste of Buckland by Susan Barlow|
|Buckland, the Northwest Section of Manchester by Gladys S. Adams (1910-2001), independent scholar, 130-page illustrated book.|
|Two Hundred Years of Buckland Cemetery by Susan Barlow|
|[Buckland] Pony Rides and Buckland Times by Susan Barlow|
|Save Case Mountain trifold brochure distributed by the Save Case Mountain committee c. 1972, donated by Dr. Fred Spaulding|
|Preserving Center Memorial Park by Susan Barlow|
|Historic Center Springs Park by Susan Barlow|
|Center Springs Park Plan This circa 1989 plan includes a description of work completed and work to be done in the park.|
|Center Springs Park Landscape Architect Proposal This 1929 proposal includes a map of the 50+ acre park.|
|Cheney Brothers District Nomination Form, prepared in 1977, this 45-page form nominates the Cheney Brothers Historic District for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places; related pictures are in the next document|
|Cheney Brothers District Nomination Photographs, 12 photographs accompanying the 1977 Nomination Form|
|Cheney Brothers Landmark District Plan of Preservation and Development, 93-page booklet published in April 1980|
|Cheney Cemetery, four-page pamphlet with information from "If All the Great Men," about some of the family members whose gravestones are located at the 2.03-acre cemetery adjacent to the East Cemetery on East Center Street.|
|History Close to Home – the Cheney Homestead by Susan Barlow|
|Cheney Homestead Open to Public May 23, 1969 article in Manchester Evening Herald|
|Admiring the Frank Cheney, Jr., House by Susan Barlow|
|Timothy Cheney House, formerly on East Center Street, once owned by James Cheney and then by the Clarke family; article by Susan Barlow|
|Cheney Property Auctions of Sept. 23-25, 1937 flyers and detail information|
|Letter from Cheney Engineering Dept., June 29, 1954, notifying home-owners of the discontinuation of steam from the mills -- they would need to heat their own homes starting in 1955.|
|100 Years of Dancing Bears by Susan Barlow|
|Out of the Ashes: Downtown Fires 1897 to 1919 by Dick Jenkins, April 2016|
|The Forgotten Fossils: Superstores of the Future Are Burying Dinosaurs' Past by Olivia F. Gentile, from the Hartford Courant, June 23, 2000|
|Fouracres -- or Forest House, a boarding house at 140 Cooper Street.|
|Globe Hollow Reservoir construction and improvements articles, including info from The Hartford Courant 1907 and 1911, and an article by Jeannine Johnson.|
|Ending the Drive to Save the Great Lawn from the Manchester Herald, September 7, 1983|
|Strolling Around the [Manchester] Green by Susan Barlow|
|Hartford Bridge Souvenir Number (home page of 1908 Bulkeley Bridge dedication pamphlet excerpts|
|• Hartford Bridge: Comments and Reminiscences|
|• Hartford Bridge, Over the Connecticut River (bridge history excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|• Hartford Bridge: William L. Buckland (biographical excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|• Hartford Bridge: The Honorable Maro S. Chapman (biographical excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|• Hartford Bridge: James W. Cheney (biographical excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|• Hartford Bridge: Oliver Magnell (biographical excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|• Hartford Bridge: Dr. D.C.Y. Moore (biographical excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|• Hartford Bridge: Dr. Francis S. Whiton (biographical excerpt from 1908 pamphlet above)|
|Hillliardville, Then and Now by Susan Barlow|
|Case Brothers Stone Bridge at Highland Park photo and anecdote by "Old Codger"|
|1923 Case Brothers Photo (Employees at Paper Mill at Highland Park) by Susan Barlow|
|1931 Inventory of Case Brothers' property at Highland Park with details of paper mills, equipment, employee housing, and the Case farm -- including cows and hens -- on Birch Mountain Road. Thanks to the Case family for lending this book and to Bob Gauthier for scanning it.|
|Case Brothers Historic District (in Highland Park) Nomination is Approved by Susan Barlow|
|Case Brothers Historic District (in Highland Park) Nomination Form, Part 1: Nomination & History National Park Service forms|
|Case Brothers Historic District (in Highland Park) Nomination Form, Part 2: Photos National Park Service forms|
|A Visit to Highland Park by Susan Barlow|
|Hockanum River Central to Manchester's History by Susan Barlow|
|Manchester's Hollywood by Susan Barlow|
|"After 4 Years," 1924 history of Manchester Memorial Hospital, Haynes Street, with illustrations and lists of donors to the hospital. 96 pages.|
|1996 History of Manchester Memorial Hospital, Haynes Street. By William Buckley and Eleanor Coltman|
|Lakeview – A Housing Development With Long-Term Appeal by Susan Barlow|
|Summer Fun at Laurel Park by Susan Barlow|
|Learned House Rich in Cheney Memoribilia by Marge Flynn, from the Manchester Herald, 01/28/1961|
|Eponymous Lydallville by Susan Barlow|
|Machine Shop From 1895 to 2009 by Susan Barlow|
|National Recognition of Manchester's History by Susan Barlow|
|Ninth District Fire - Cheney $200,000 Donation from the Hartford Courant October 24, 1913|
|The Hibbard Family in the Old North End by Susan Barlow|
|North End - On the Other Side of the Tracks by Susan Barlow|
|Visiting the Old North End with Ed Koski by Susan Barlow|
|The Poorhouse and its Controversies by Susan Barlow|
|Porter Street's Hart Porter by Jim Hall|
|Silver Lane Homes, off Hartford Road in Manchester, CT. by Susan (Miner) Lyons|
|Admiring South Manchester High School, 1151 Main Street by Susan Barlow|
|"New" South Manchester High School building to open from the South Manchester News, September 2, 1904|
|Location of South Manchester High School, describing the buildings that pre-dated the former high school at 1151 Main Street by Dick Jenkins|
|South Manchester High School history 1893 to 1943.|
|Listing of South Manchester High School graduates, 1894 to 1913.|
|South Manchester High School class of 1917 at their 50th reunion, June 26, 1967.|
|Summertimes Past by Susan Barlow|
|Historical & Architectural Surveys of the Villages of Manchester prepared for the Manchester Planning Department and the CT Historical Commission|
|Manchester's Theaters part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, April 12, 1967.|
|Visiting Many-Sided Tolland Turnpike by Susan Barlow|
|"Waranoke Inn:" Fire Destroyed this Downtown Landmark on October 12, 2013 by Susan Barlow|
|Whiton Library Brochure circa 1950|
|The Great Historical Society Window Project by Susan Barlow|
|Trotting at Woodland Park by Susan Barlow|
|Historic Businesses & Inventors|
|"INVENTIONS and PATENTS" (page in this website)|
|Adams Mill Restaurant - History of the Mill by The Adams Mill Restaurant, et al|
|Bon Ami - "Hasn't Scratched Yet" by Jim Hall|
|57 Years at Carter Chevrolet by Tom Duff|
|Cheney Mills "Lessons From Ancestors" by Thomas E. Myers, Cheney family descendant|
|Cheney Redux: "Invest in the Past" by Sue Plese|
|The Cheney Silk Mills by Susan Barlow|
|Cheney Silk Workers February 5, 1917|
|History Lesson #7 - The First "Major" Fire [Cheney Store] from August, 2007 Town of Manchester General Manager's Report|
|Deci's Restaurant a Scene out of "American Graffiti" by Richard Tambling|
|Keeping Historically Accurate: Dye House At Cheney Mills Complex Reborn As Apartments by Anne Hamilton|
|William Booth Gammons and the Founding of the Gammons Hoaglund Co. by Marion Booth Gammons|
|The Gorman Brothers: Quarrymen and Builders by Bob Gorman|
|Light Bulbs, Soap and Drama on Hilliard Street by Susan Barlow|
|Manchester Inventions and Industries, one of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, February 22, 1967.|
|Iona Manufacturing Company by Susan Barlow|
|Lydall & Foulds newletter, January-February 1960 edition.|
|Mari-Mad's - A Specialty Store Started Half A Century Ago by Susan Barlow|
|Manchester Herald Ceases Publication, article about the newspaper's closure in the final edition, June 28, 1991, with additional pictures of Herald locations.|
|Manchester Herald and Courant, newspaper customs and clippings from the 1880s and 1890s; one of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, March 22, 1967|
|Manchester Herald Neighbor's Kitchen, a March 1982 article from the popular series by Herald reporters and photographers. This entry features Norma Mullen and her recipes for Irish soda bread, Irish coffee, etc.|
|"From Your Neighbor's Kitchen" recipes in the Manchester Herald cookbooks -- a recipe index by Kathy Lewis Williams, who created this list so her daughters-in-law could have the recipes that were used when Kathy's sons were growing up.|
|Marlow's selling Corelle dinnerware, with picture of Harriet Wyrus (1912-1998) in this 1970 Manchester Herald business section article; no byline|
|John Mather Glass Factory by Brenda Paullo (1940-2010)|
|Mather Electric an article about Edison light bulbs, called "Manchester Dark," from The Hartford Courant, 01/23/1893|
|An Old Medicine Bottle by Martin Duke, M.D.|
|Mohr's Bakery located on Gorman Place, Downtown by Bob Gorman, born in Manchester in 1922.|
|Oak Grove Paper Mills by Susan Barlow|
|The Pitkin Glass Works by Charles E. Jacobson Jr., M.D.|
|A Little Dig [at the Pitkin Glass Works] -- For Lessons They Can't Find In A Textbook by David Huck, Journal Inquirer|
|From Track to Trail: Improvements Make Old Cheney Rail Line Easier to Walk from the Hartford Courant, 12/05/2012|
|Branch [Rail] Road to South Manchester from the Hartford Daily Courant, 05/22/1869|
|Railroad Timetable showing trips out of Hartford, from the Hartford Courant, 4/2/1894|
|Railroad Test In Manchester from the Hartford Courant, 11/24/1914|
|[Rails] Connecting Manchester by Susan Barlow|
|"Goat" Makes Last Journey on [Rails] from the Manchester Herald, 01/27/1933|
|Royal Ice Cream, history of this hometown business, established 1926.|
|The Reinvention of Silk by Henry Fountain (New York Times "Science Times" article, dated 03/07/2011)|
|Spencer Got Up a Full Head of Steam by Richard Tarmbling|
|The Day Spencer Shot Holes in Criticisms of His Rifle by Richard Tarmbling|
|Tonica and Rock Water Once Called Cure-Alls by Jack Repass|
|1885 Case brothers water bottling plant story in Manchester Herald|
|Highland Tonica Water from Hanks' 1888 Manchester Directory|
|1888 Union Manufacturing Employees by Susan Barlow|
|The Wyllys Copper Mine by Charles E. Jacobson Jr., M.D.|
|Other Local-History Topics|
|Antique Study Club program booklet, about 5" by 7" dated 1970, with names of members, most of whom lived in Manchester: Esther Bissell, Dorothy Coe, Dorothy Crocker, Irene Harrison, Alice McKay, Jennie Pitkin, Bette Steele, Marion Stiles, Eleanor Stubenrauch, Willo Suprenant, Martha WIlliams.|
|Baseball in Manchester by Brenda Paullo (1940-2010).|
|Centennial Baseball game played at "the grounds at McKee and Summer streets" October 6, 1923 part of the festivities for Manchester's 100th anniversary.|
|Baseball in Manchester by Earl Yost, one of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, April 26, 1967. The "good old days" of baseball|
|Miss Elisabeth Bennet's Bench in the collection of the Historical Society|
|20-mule team Borax promotional tour; notes and pictures, about the fall 1918 visit to Manchester.|
|"Cyclery of Yesterday" -- Bicycling article, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, November 11, 1966.|
|"Cheney Brothers Was the World" 1981 photo exhibit by Sylvian Ofiara and John Sutherland; poster and description of an exhibit of photos about the silk mills and the people who worked there.|
|Charm in Manchester by Susan Barlow|
|"Christmas Kaleidoscope" article, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, December 14, 1966. Memories of ice-skating, sleds, Christmas trees, etc.|
|Cruising on Main in a 1937 Plymouth by Dick Jenkins|
|Kings and Queens of the Road, Cruising on Main by Dave Nutter|
|[Barney Edward Daley:] Keeper of Local Lore Dies from Hartford Courant|
|MANCHESTER FIRE DEPARTMENT VIGNETTES by Doug Welch, et al|
|Manchester Fire Department Vignettes: Reflections by various|
|Fraternal organization listing 1924, from the Spiess and Bidwell History of Manchester book|
|Ice Price article 1906|
|Then & Now photo features from the Manchester Herald during the 1970s and 1980s, including images of Circle Theatre on Oak Street, North End post office, trolley to Laurel Park c. 1901, Main Street banner for the Progressive Party in 1912, Red Cross float in the 1923 Centennial parade, Arthur Keeney cider, Manchester Dairy on Summit St., North Main St. with trolley, merry-go-round at Laurel Park, Company G 1st Infantry about 1907-1909, East Center St. in 1908, Glastonbury Knitting Mill at the Green, Oakland Street police stop in 1930, Teacher's Hall on Downtown Main St., Army recruits in 1941, Depot Square 1877, Keeney St. School 1912, Oakland St. postcard, North End railroad crossing c. 1906, Second Congregational Church, John Hand Grocery 312 Main St. which became Village Barber Shop, West Center St. Thanks to Bob Hetzel and family who collected these clippings.|
|One-page summary Manchester History prepared in 1987|
|Manchester Masonic Lodge booklet prepared 1926 upon the dedication of the "new" temple at East Center Street|
|Manchester Masonic Lodge History prepared circa 1996|
|1930 Packard coupe -- story of a car once owned by the Paymaster at Cheney silk mills and still on the road in Manchester in 2016.|
|Start Service Today at New Post Office at Center from Manchester Herald|
|Artifacts of the Podunk Indians by Barney Edward Daley|
|Postcard announcing Prohibition meeting addressed to Robert N. Stanley of South Manchester|
|Armchair Historic Research by Susan Barlow|
|Finding Old Treasures Historic Research by Susan Barlow|
|"Service on the Doorstep" article, part of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, December 28, 1966. Door-to-door vendors, peddlers, and service before supermarkets.|
|History of Manchester Schools notes by Brenda Paullo (1940-2010)|
|Old Manchester Song by George T. Holland, 1926, thanks to Paul Barrett for finding this at a flea market in California and donating the original sheet music to the Manchester Historical Society|
|Swedish Singers and a Humorist at Cheneys' Hall from Dec. 1, 1888 Manchester Saturday Herald|
|Town Seal Captures History by Susan Barlow|
|Valentine Days article about Valentine customs of long ago, one of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, February 8, 1967. Includes snippets on various other topics, including a correction about the Ferris building and the poorhouse. Thanks to Dick Jenkins for finding this article via microfiche and formatting it for the website.|
|Wall That Heals booklet for the October 8-11, 2015 visit to Manchester by this memorial, a replica of the one in Washington, D.C. The booklet includes photos of and information about the Manchester veterans who died in Vietnam.|
|Manchester Writers article about reporters and authors from Manchester, one of a series by the Manchester Historical Society's Public Information Committee, reprinted from The Manchester Evening Herald, January 11, 1967.|
|How Did Your School Get Its Name? by Jim Hall (primary reference is on the Kids' Corner page of this website)|
|Schools of the Past, But Still With Us by Susan Barlow (primary reference is on the Kids' Corner page of this website)|
|Schools Now Departed by Susan Barlow (primary reference is on the Kids' Corner page of this website)|
Note: Many of these files are large and can take up to several minutes to display.
• History of Manchester book This large PDF file contains the 327-page 1924 book, "The History of Manchester, Connecticut," published in honor of Manchester's centennial year (1923). The file takes several moments to download. Written by Mathias Spiess and Percy Bidwell, the book was converted to an electronic file for research use by Dick Spiess, the grandson of one of the authors. The book is a definitive history of the town from pre-historic times to the "modern age" of 1923. As a research aid to the Spiess and Bidwell book, we offer this Index of Names, which was created in 1999 to help in finding people's names.
• 1886 Manchester History from "The Memorial History of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884" The history was edited by J. Hammond Trumbull, L.L.D., President of the Connecticut Historical Society, and contains drawings, facsimile signatures, and commentary. This 23-page portion of the full "Memorial History" contains the part about Manchester.
• 1895-98 Alms House records A 144-page Town of Manchester ledger listing expenses paid, including coal, food, medicine, burial. Handwritten and a LARGE document to open in your browser.
• Old Manchester II...The Storytellers 272-page book compiled and edited by Milton K. Adams, and published by the Manchester Historical Society in 1995. Included are vintage photos from the archives, reprints from The Manchester Evening Herald, first-person stories, and oral history interviews conducted by Society volunteers. Thanks to volunteer Dick Spiess for scanning.
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Page 1
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Page 2
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Page 3
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Pages 4-5 (center)
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Page 6
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Page 7
• Homeland Day 1914, Manchester Herald Special Edition - Page 8 On Saturday, June 13, 1914, the Herald published an 8-page "Special Number," for the Homeland Day in Manchester, a large celebration. Due to the large format, each file has one page, except for the center two pages, which are one document.
• 1888 "Hanks' Manchester Directory" 140-page reference book, listing businesses and residents and containing advertisements. Takes a moment to download. Note that abbreviations are listed on page 33 of the directory, which you can directly access by clicking here (on the right side of the display).
• 1907 Annual Report of Manchester, 84-page booklet with financial listings: town expenses, income; school attendance, progress on road constructions, etc.
• 1913 Manchester Directory, with this introduction: "The HERALD PRINTING COMPANY, now for the first time publisher of the Manchester Directory, presents this issue with apologies, made necessary by its inexperience at this kind of work. We bought the copyright last year from Arthur E. Bowers, who established the Directory, subletting it to various college students from year to year. The actual work of printing the book has heretofore been done in Meriden." Takes a moment to download.
• 1915 Manchester Directory. 232 pages, published by the Herald Printing Company, listing businesses and residents and containing advertisements. Note the Publisher's Announcement on page 3, explaining that the preparation of this directory was "...complicated by the fact that during the past year the streets of Manchester have been renumbered. Hence not one of the entries of the 1914 edition could pass over unchanged into the 1915 directory." Takes a moment to download.
• 1917 Manchester Directory. 126 pages, published by the Herald Printing Company, listing businesses and residents and containing advertisements. Takes a moment to download.
• 1917 Manchester Directory - Comments and Reminiscences.
• 1927 Manchester Directory. 464-page reference book, listing businesses and residents and containing advertisements. Takes a moment to download. Thanks to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• 1934 Manchester Directory. 418-page search-able reference book published by Price & Lee, listing businesses and residents and containing advertisements. Takes a moment to download. Thanks to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• 1946 Manchester Directory. 716-page search-able reference book, published by Price and Lee, listing businesses and residents and containing advertisements. Takes a moment to download. Thanks to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• Manchester Annual Report 1966-1967. 48-page booklet with photos and listings of prior year's activities, departments, town officials, expenditures, etc. Special feature: comparisons with 1927, for example, on page 28, "In 1926-27, the Town did not operate any public water supply system or any sanitary sewer system. It was not until a half a decade later that water and sewer systems were purchased from Cheney Brothers." Thanks to Bob Hetzel for donating and to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• 1969 Chamber of Commerce Booklet. 60-page booklet about Manchester with text, photos, and advertisements. Thanks to Bob Hetzel for this publication, and to Susan Barlow for scanning it. Takes a moment to download.
• 1973 Sesquicentennial Booklet. 150th anniversary celebration booklet with history, commentary, photos, ads, and in the center of the book a list of the metal plaques placed at historic buildings and properties during Manchester's sesquicentennial celebration. Thanks to Vivian Ferguson for this little treasure and thanks to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• 1978 "Manchester Fire Department 90th Anniversary." Booklet with history and photos for the Eighth Utilities District volunteer fire department. Thanks to Bob Hetzel for donating and to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• "Yesterday and Today" 1978-1979 Annual Report Town of Manchester. 40-page booklet with photos and listings of prior year's activities, departments, expenditures, etc. A mini-history of the previous year, including, on page 26, "...the Town is planning to initiate a '911' system as a method of calling for emergency services." Thanks to Bob Hetzel for donating and to Bob Gauthier for scanning for the website.
• Bee Register, 1919-1989 Ledger, listing beekeepers, their addresses, number of colonies, number of hives and date paid ($0.25 per hive). Many familiar town names are listed as keeping bees. Thanks to Noreen Cullen and Bob Gauthier for bringing this in digital format to our website. .
• Buckland Times Newsletters. Susan Way has given us permission to post these newsletters about the Buckland section of Manchester on our website.
• Buckland Times Newsletters: Memories. Memories and reminiscences from readers of the Buckland Times reprints.
• Burr Nursery, 1968 Burr Nursery four-page reprint from the April 1968 "Connecticut Industry" magazine. While lacking concrete information such as where the business was located and number of employees, still the pictures and history make it interesting. Burr Nursery was in the North End of Manchester, and had "plantations" for growing trees in other towns in Connecticut.
• Center Congregational Church history, booklet published in 1880 upon the church's 100th anniversary.
• "Descent of the Founders of the Cheney Silk Industry" by Dorothy Cheney Dorothy Cheney, 07/12/1880 to 01/30/1971, wrote "Descent of the Founders of the Cheney Silk Industry," and privately published 150 copies in 1960. Dorothy also wrote "Memories, 1917-1919," about her experiences volunteering in hospitals in France during World War I (see below. She and her twin sister, Marjory, were daughters of Frank Woodbridge Cheney and Mary Bushnell Cheney. The February 1, 1971 obituary in the New York Times says, "Miss Cheney was a trustee of the Connecticut Junior Republic and the Visiting Nurse Association of Manchester and an honorary member of the 16th Connecticut Volunteer Regiment (Civil War). In World War I she served with the American Red Cross in Beauvais, France." A March 30, 1916 article in The Hartford Courant notes that Dorothy Cheney was on the committee for an April 4 "tea and sale of fancy articles" at Tinker Hall, sponsoring an address by Emily Pierson, "under the auspices of the Equal Franchise League."
• [World War I] "Memories" by Dorothy Cheney Dorothy Cheney wrote this small but very personal and interesting book about her experiences, along with her twin sister Marjory, while serving overseas with the Red Cross during World War I. Among other things, Dorothy was mentioned for bravery at the time of the bombardment of the American Hospital at Beauvais in 1918.
• Notes on Dorothy Cheney's "Memories" book by Susan Barlow Notes of Dorothy Cheney's "Memories" book written down by Susan Barlow while reading the memoir. These will give you a flavor of the content of the book itself, since the title doesn't provide an obvious connection to its subject matter.
• Reflections on Dorothy Cheney's "Memories" book Comments and observations from people who have read Dorothy Cheney's book on her memories of service as a nurse in France during World War I.
• Dorothy Cheney Attains Fame On Field of Battle Article from the Hartford Courant, dated June 9, 1918, concerning Miss Cheney's activities under fire at Beauvais.
• "Gamut of Life" poetry book by Mary Pierson Cheney (1874-1949), written in the early- to mid-20th century and privately published in 1948. Mary and her husband, Horace Bushnell Cheney, had five children.
• Reminiscences of Ednah Dow Cheney (born Littlehale). Autobiography of Ednah Dow Littlehale Cheney, wife and biographer of Seth Cheney. Published in 1902, it contains portraits of Seth Wells and Margaret S. Cheney, as well as portraits of the author herself. This Google book was scanned from one in the library of Radcliffe College.
• Memoir of Margaret Swan Cheney (1855-1882), by Ednah Dow Littlehale Cheney A long out-of-print memoir, written by her mother.
• "Memoir of Seth W. Cheney, Artist", by Ednah Dow Littlehale Cheney A long out-of-print memoir, now located online at Google Books.
• Drawing by Seth W. Cheney of his niece Rosalie Goodman.
• "Memoir of John Cheney, engraver", by Ednah Dow Littlehale Cheney A long out-of-print memoir, also by Ednah Dow Littlehale Cheney, and now also located online at Google Books.
• "The Making of an Artist: John Cheney, Engraver," 14-page essay by Mark Sutcliffe (1963-2007), with illustrations and bibliography.
• Catalogue of the Engraved and Lithographed Work of John Cheney and Seth Cheney On Google books, scanned from the original catalogue at Harvard. The book was published in 1891 and includes listings of their works and the books with their illustrations, as well as names of their portrait subjects.
• Cheney Letters "The Letters of Mary Bushnell Cheney and Frank Woodbridge Cheney" compiled and edited by Eileen R. Learned and dedicated to Horace Bushnell Learned. Privately published as a 285-page spiral-bound booklet in 1988, and reprinted here with family permission. Includes photos and genealogical and biographical notes. Thanks to volunteers David Beal and Bob Gauthier for scanning and indexing.
• "A Short Description of Silk and Silk Manufacture, Cheney Silks" a 16-page booklet, describing history, economics, cultivation of the silk worms, and all processes of manufacture. Circa 1910.
• "Cheney Silks: A Glossary of Silk Terms" This 57-page 1915 publication has been out of print for many years, but is available online and still offers a wealth of information about the silk business: the terminology of silk, a short history, its origin, culture and manufacture.
• Cheney Brothers 40-50 Year Employees Photo taken May 13, 1924, with individuals identified.
• Cheney Brothers handbook for employees 1924 booklet with some illustrations and a map of the silk mills, machine shop, boarding houses and other buildings.
• "An Industrial Experiment in South Manchester" An article about the Cheney silk manufacturing enterprise, published in the November 1872 Harper's magazine. It describes the manufacture of silk products in the Cheney mills, as well as the Cheneys' interest in workers' health, working conditions and housing, and the schools and entertainment opportunities they provided, in contrast to conditions found in other industrial enterprises of the era.
(Note: Harper's magazine began publishing in 1850 and continues to the present day. More about Harper's can be found in Wikipedia at Harper's Magazine.)
• Cheney Brothers WWII award booklet 1942 illustrated program for an event at the State Theatre in which the Army-Navy "E" award was given to Cheneys for war work.
• "Genealogy Notes of Driggs, Williams, and Keeney Families" and "Additional Genealogy Notes, including Wickham mansion information" Excerpts from "Then and Now," a 1966 addendum to "The Genealogy of Alfred Waldo Driggs and Alice May Williams" of East Hartford. These pages contain photos of houses on North Main Street in Manchester, as well as information on the Keeney family and the first railroad to go through Manchester. Thank you to Susan Way for sending these pages. Both books have been given to the Raymond Memorial Library in East Hartford, CT. Susan Way says, "There are several mentions and small pictures of that stretch of North Main Street west of the Hockanum River."
• Emanuel Lutheran Church, booklet published in 1931 upon the church's 50th anniversary, when its name was Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church.
• Emanuel Lutheran Church, booklet published in 1956 upon the church's 75th anniversary.
• Emanuel Lutheran Church, booklet published in 1981 upon the church's 100th anniversary.
• Manchester High School history 1893 to 1943.
• W. H. Jones Memoir William H. Jones (1812-1903) was born and grew up in the Buckland section of Manchester. The Manchester Herald published a summary of his memoir in 1912, with several sub-headings: "Pioneer Silk Manufacturer. Enterprises in Buckland and Manchester From Recollections at the Age of Eighty-nine -- Buckland in Stage Coach Days -- Helped Build North Congregational Church -- The Silk Worm Craze and Manufacture of Silk Thread -- Fortune Lost by War."
• "Direct Current Incandescent Lighting" published by Mather Electric This 48-page book, published by the Mather Electric Company, describes the Mather incandescent electric lighting system. The actual publication date is uncertain but probably precedes 1893. It is profusely illustrated and provides a glimpse into the early days of electric lighting and power generation.
• North End Bandstand Concert described in a 1926 News Article transcribed from The Hartford Courant July 4, 1926.
• Saint James and Saint Bridget churches, history and pictures in this 8-page 1897 article in the Sacred Heart Review.
• History of Saint James Church, booklet published in 1999 upon the church's 125th anniversary.
• Salvation Army History: South Manchester Corps History 1887-1937 A 15-page document with photos and notes, posted online by David Miller. In Manchester, the Corps encountered opposition, but pursued its mission of saving souls.
• Salvation Army visitor Elizabeth Wilson (1881-1979) in this December 11, 1959 Manchester Herald newspaper article. Thanks to the Richardson family for this clipping.
• "The Silk Industry in America" A 71-page 1901 document, "The Silk Industry in America, as represented to the United States Industrial Commission," comprises testimony about the U.S. silk industry. Starting on page 726 (the reproduction begins at page number 667), you can read the interview with Frank Woodbridge Cheney, treasurer of Cheney Brothers. The original document is in the collection of the University of Michigan, and the online version is available at Google Books.
• "The Silk Industry of the World" A 68-page 1904 booklet, "The Silk Industry of the World at the Opening of the Twentieth Century" by Franklin S. Allen, this was originally an article for the Encyclopedia Americana, and also printed as this booklet by The Silk Association of America for its members. The booklet describes the growth and industrialization of silk manufacture, with an emphasis on the modern practices of the time.
• "The Story of Silk and Cheney Silk" Written by H.H. Manchester, and scanned for the Albert R. Mann Library at Cornell University Library, Ithaca, NY, Copyright 1916 by Cheney Brothers. An illustrated history of silk production in ancient times through the vast Cheney Mill operation.
• Series of 1922-1932 era Cheney Brothers Newsletters produced by Cheney Brothers for its employees.
• "Somanhis Events" Commencement June, 1927
• Clubs and Sports Pages from the 1927 Somanhis This 100-page booklet includes Manchester's 1927 high school yearbook, with photos and nicknames of the 117 graduates, along with many advertisements, some geared toward the graduates as they embark on their new lives – Connecticut Business College in the Odd Fellows Block, the Savage School for Physical Education. There are also stories, poems, essays, jokes, etc. by the graduates. There are two files, the first of which contains 31 pages with all the graduates. The second file has the sports teams and clubs. Thanks to Henry and Anne McNulty for this great old booklet, which had belonged to Anne McNulty’s great-aunt, Olive Little, a member of the graduating class of 1919 at the old South Manchester High School on Downtown Main Street (now the Bennet Apartments). Olive Little was a high school teacher in Massachusetts. Anne and Henry McNulty explain that, "Olive was the daughter of Robert Little, one of the partners in the Little & McKinney feed and grain store, a Manchester fixture for years. His partner was George McKinney. George and Robert had married sisters, so they were in-laws. Quite the close-knit community back then!"
• "Somanhis" Class of 1929 - Part-1
• "Somanhis" Class of 1929 - Part-2 This 1929 Manchester High School yearbook was lent to Dick Jenkins, who scanned it for posting on this website. The original belongs to Brenda Hills Reichle, 1957 graduate of Manchester High School, whose mother, Josephine Piescik Hills, graduated in the class of 1929. Dick said, "Josephine studied art in Europe and I'm told that her art training was paid for by the Cheney family. Josephine would have graduated with her husband Willard Hills in 1927 had she not been studying overseas." The Somanhis pages are in very large files, and are scanned in two parts, but still may take a while to download to your computer.
• "Somanhis" 1953 sports "lettermen" on page 88 of the yearbook.
• "Somanhis" 1954 Varsity "M" athletes in the 1954 Manchester High School yearbook.
• "Somanhis" Class of 1955. This 1955 Manchester High School yearbook, scanned by Historical Society volunteer Robert Gauthier, is a large file and may take a while to display on your computer.
• South Manchester Railroad Map Many thanks to Joe Gibilisco who sent us this map, dated November 1932, of the Right-of-Way and Track Map of the South Manchester Railroad.
• Biography of Christopher Miner Spencer Spencer's life is described in this reprint from the 1886 "Hollister Family of America" genealogy compiled by Lafayette Wallace Case, M.D. The original is at the Connecticut State Library. See also the Spencer reprints in the listing above, written by the late Richard Tambling.
• 1882 edition of the Manchester Herald The July 1, 1882 edition of the Manchester Herald, a local newspaper published from 1881 until 1991. This copy is zoomable and contains, among other things, advertisements for Watkins Brothers furniture store and the schedule for the South Manchester railroad. Thanks to Historical Society member and volunteer David Beal for scanning this image and making it available.
• 1923 Centennial March In 1923, Manchester went all out for its 100-year anniversary. Harold A. Turkington wrote this Centennial March, which was for sale at Kemp's Music House for sixty cents.
• 1923 Manchester Centennial Booklet A booklet printed in 1923 for Manchester's centennial, the 100th anniversary of its incorporation as a town. This 124-page publication contains the program of activities for the week-long celebration, photos of schools and churches, and advertisements for local businesses. Due to its size, the booklet may take some time to load on your computer. Some notes have been added, of commentary and correction. Thank you to the Case-Jacobson family for donating this vintage booklet to the Historical Society, and to Town Clerk Joe Camposeo for providing a photocopied version which expedited the scanning process.
• 1963 Manchester Schools List of Manchester schools and principals from a 1963-1964 Jaycees booklet, "Town Guide, Manchester, Connecticut."
• State Theatre brochure: Grand Opera Fall Series, 1960 This 8x10.25" brochure is printed in an unusual way, with a folded front cover (like a door) that opens to reveal the eight operas featured in the Opera Series. The back cover is an ad for Potterton's which sold TVs, radios, and "Hi Fidelity" stereo. The State Theatre was located Downtown on Main Street, near the corner of Bissell. The Full Gospel Interdenominational Church is now located in the building.
• Tobacco Growing article transcribed from The Manchester Herald special Homeland Day edition, June 13, 1914.
• Dedication Brochure for Waddell School The four-page program for the October 4, 1953 dedication of Waddell School, brought to our attention by Cari Waddell Cieri, the granddaughter of George Waddell, for whom the school was named.
• Whiton Memorial Dedication Dedication program at the opening of the Manchester Public Library Whiton Memorial Library on May 10, 1932.
• Woodland Park sports meet results -- the competition was held at Woodland Park, a race track on Woodland Street, June 16, 1896. More about Racing at Woodland Park.
• World War I casualties -- 599-page research project prepared by the Genealogy Group of the Manchester Historical Society; includes military records on Manchester's WWI dead.
• World War I ticket to 9/15/1917 event "sending off" Manchester draftees and enlistees. Events included a parade, a program in the park, and a banquet.
• World War I Welcome Home Day 32-page souvenir booklet listing events on May 27, 1919 -- dedication of the Army & Navy Club on Main St., speeches, a parade, supper, dancing, fireworks. The booklet lists those who died in the World War, those who served, War Bureau and committee members, and efforts on the homefront through the Red Cross, sales of war bonds, etc. The booklet celebrates the establishment of Manchester Memorial Hospital.
• "World War II History of Manchester by Archie Kilpatrick, published 1946, describing Manchester's contributions to the war effort, with photos, lists of veterans, etc.
• World War II History of Manchester - Reflections
Historical Society member and volunteer Dick Jenkins created and maintained the comprehensive website www.mhs1955.com, which he started for his Manchester High School graduating class of 1955. Dick added photos by John Knoll, and stories about teachers and special places in Manchester. A Manchester native who now lives in Florida, and a professional photographer, Dick has decided to retire from his webmaster work, and has graciously agreed to turn over his website pages to the Manchester Historical Society.
The May, 2005 Historical Society newsletter, The Courier, announced the donation by Tony and Paula Viscogliosi
of looms similar to Cheney looms that originally operated at textile manufacturer Scalamandré. The Society began preparing
a textile exhibit, using the looms as the centerpiece. Courier articles have continued to report the progress of
the exhibit. Click links below to read more.
NOTE: To go to this website's "Loom Exhibit" page, please click: Loom Exhibit page.
|Scalamandré Looms Find New Home in History Center by Robert Dunne, Courier, May 2005|
|Photographic "Basement Tour" of looms and other artifacts at the History Center, by Mark Abraitis, Photographer, October, 2016|
|Dream Weavers: Planning Begins on Permanent Installation of Scalamandré Looms Courier, February, 2007|
|Loom Project Update Courier, May, 2007|
|Let There Be Light Courier, September, 2007|
|Loom Project Progress Report: Exhibit's Centerpiece: Jacquard Looms from the Scalamandré Mills by Susan Barlow, Courier, September, 2007|
|Floor Work at History Center Courier, May, 2010|
|Loom Exhibit Taking Shape Courier, November, 2010|
|Loom Room Progress Report Courier, November, 2011|
|New Wheelchair Ramp Installed at Entrance to Loom Room Courier, November, 2011|