From Susan (Miner) Lyons, circa 1949 photos of E Drive at Silver Lane Homes, where she lived in the 1940s and
1950s with her parents and brother. Her father was a WWII veteran, a Navy pilot of blimps used for reconnaissance,
a graduate of Loomis Chaffee and of Yale. Behind the homes was a big field where the kids played. Outdoor movies
were shown there. There was also a school. Silver Lane Homes were near Orford Village, another Federal government
"war housing" project (Orford Village was considered "permanent," and Silver Lane "temporary"). Silver Lane
Homes were dismantled in the 1960s; some houses were moved as vacation homes (Misquamicut), and some houses'
building materials were re-used (for example, by Dick Jenkins of South Windsor, who used two-by-fours from the
project to build a garage).
Top photo: Back row, left to right: Margaret Jane Miner, Mary Macksey (later, Coleman), Nan Weldon Flanagan, F. Weldon Miner. In front: David Weldon Miner, Susan Margaret Miner
Middle photo: Susan and David Miner. That's the family's Ford in the driveway; note the "running boards," which the children would hop onto when they saw their father coming home from work.
Map: Map of the streets of Silver Lane Homes by Dick Jenkins.
Lower 2 photos: These two photos were sent along by Beverly Logan, whose husband, Al, lived at 88 Drive B. Another family who lived on Drive B was the Gilman girls, Judy, Carole and Nancy.