Several years ago, Manchester Historical Society volunteer Carol Lenihan (1925-2011), conducted a manual search of the 1888 Hanks' Manchester Directory and listed the Union mills employees, their residence, including if they "boarded"
at private homes, and type of job. The 1888 directory lists the mills, located near the Union Dam in the North End, as: "Union Manufacturing Co. –
Union, M. capital $200,000. Charles M. Beach, Receiver. Employ three hundred forty operatives in the manufacture
of ginghams, four hundred ten looms, ten thousand spindles." Union cotton mills lent their name to "Union Village" as the North End was known at one time. The employee list can be found by clicking here.
The entire 1888 directory is available at Hanks' Directory. The directory describes itself as "Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Street and Business Directory, with a List of Town Officers, Churches, Societies, Corporations, Etc." (You can directly access the Union Manufacturing reference by clicking here.)
A picture of Union Mills and another description of it can be found in the "Historic Mills Along the Hockanum" section of this document, on the importance of the Hockanum River to Manchester's history: Hockanum River.