• CASE MOUNTAIN AND CHARCOAL HIKES
> Charcoal Hearth Features Historian and author Walter Landgraf (1941-2007) presented an illustrated talk at the Manchester Historical Society on the charcoal-making process, from which this flyer was made for distribution at charcoal-themed hikes.
> Charcoal Hike Information Remains of Connecticut's charcoal industry can still be found in the woods east of the Case Mountain summit. Find out more about Manchester's charcoal mounds in this flyer.
> Tonica Springs Ad At Highland Park, table and therapeutic water were once bottled and shipped around the country and world. This 1888 ad describes the benefits! The bottling plant was at today's Spring Street trailhead, the starting point for many of our Highland Park history hikes.
• CHENEY MANSIONS
> Anne Cheney mansion The mansion at 80 Hartford Road, demolished in 1951, is the former home of the Rush Cheney family. Anne W. Cheney was the last family member to live there.
> Anne Cheney musicale at the mansion In May 1888, 200 guests attended a concert at the Anne Cheney mansion on Hartford Road (see flyer above for more about the mansion itself). Among those who attended: architect Stanford White, author Mark Twain, artist Thomas Dewing.
> Charles Cheney mansion and information about Charles Cheney (1866-1942), who was president and chairman of the board of Cheney brothers. The flyer contains pictures, house description, and Charles's obituary.
> Cheney Silk Upholstery Image and description of a chair with Cheney silk upholstery at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, including information about the firm Tiffany & Wheeler.
> Chest-on-Chest Auction Story and photo: An Aaron Chapin chest-on-chest (2 chests-of-drawers, affixed one atop the other), a piece of furniture formerly owned by the Cheney family in Manchester. The flyer is the January 18, 2013 The Antiques and The Arts newspaper story about its sale at auction. The flyer includes a picture of it, a description and the auction estimate of $100,000 - $150,000.
> Frank W. Cheney ("Big Red") This home, which was torn down in the early 1930s, was home to Ruth Cheney Goodwin. She wrote about this house in her memoir, Under the Family Tree. A quote from the book,“Christmas and the fourth of July gave full vent to the family capacity for doing things on a large scale. And Thanksgiving was the miracle of the loaves and fishes in reverse. The largest number of people I remember dining in the house on that day was seventy-two—my sister says eight-nine. Thirty would have been considered few."
> Great Lawn in Manchester Herald 1983 news article reporting the end of the struggle to save the Great Lawn from development.
> Great Lawn in "Traveler from a Small Kingdom" by Emily Cheney Neville 1919-1997, who grew up in the Howell Cheney house on the Great Lawn. She describes life in South Manchester in the 1927-1930 era.
> Great Lawn map with street addresses produced by the Town of Manchester.
> Mary Cheney & Her Mansion Several of our walking tours pass the large mansion built for Mary Cheney's parents at 48 Hartford Road. Designed by Hammatt Billings, it still maintains its historic features. You can see its location on this district map.
> Horace B. Cheney mansion for sale, September 2016 Hartford Courant article by reporter Jesse Leavenworth.
> Richard Otis Cheney Several of our walking tours visit "Oak Hill," the former home of Richard Otis Cheney and family. Although it is now vinyl-sided and converted into apartments, it still maintains many features of its historic past.
• CHENEY RAILROAD
> Cheney Railroad Public Multi-Use Trail Use this map on a self-guilded walking tour of the old Cheney railroad (SMRR) from its north end, along property owned by the Manchester Land Conservation Trust.
• CHENEY SILK MILLS
> Chair Upholstery Image and description of a chair with Cheney silk upholstery at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, including information about the firm Tiffany & Wheeler.
> The Mystique of Silk exhibit of Cheney silk advertisements, originally prepared for a June 2016 exhibit at MCC On Main, Downtown Manchester, and later displayed at the Manchester History Center, 175 Pine Street, Manchester. The ads in the exhibit are from the collection of Carol Cheney, great-granddaughter of Knight Dexter Cheney, who served as a Cheney director from 1886 to 1907 and as president from 1894 to 1907.
> Cheney Silk Quilt Top Image and description of a quilt top made of Cheney silk now on the wall in our Loom Room. The quilt top was donated by Judy Marteney.
• CIVIL WAR
> Civil War 29th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers A flyer with information on the six African American soldiers from Manchester who fought with the 29th Regiment. INcludes names, military service dates, and whether they were in Company I or Company K.
> Civil War Statue A flyer prepared by David Beal for an occasional exhibit of little-known facts about Manchester. It describes the turning of the Civil War statue that is located in Center Memorial Park.
> Manchester Answers A flyer prepared for a September 2012 Civil War Reenactment at Wickham Park, with information on the contribution in men and materiel that Manchester provided during the War Between the States. (Click on the image to get a full-sized view.)
• DOWNTOWN MANCHESTER
> Downtown Manchester The Historical Society leads periodic tours of Downtown Manchester, pointing out buildings of historic and architectural significance.
> Ferris Building This circa 1901 building was moved in 1920 to make way for Watkins new furniture store. Originally it faced Main Street and now it faces Oak Street. (Side note -- Knight Ferris went on to write the "Old Codger" columns that appeared in The Manchster Evening Herald in the 1970s.)
> Forest St. Neighborhood Walking Tour The Historical Society leads occasional tours along the rectangle bordered by Forest Street, Elm Street, Hartford Road, and Downtown Main Street. This area is also part of the Heritage Day (second Saturday in June) walking tour near the Great Lawn.
> Hidden Gems Our "Hidden Gems" walking tour starts at the Town Hall and visits some special places in the Downtown area that are hidden from people driving by in their cars. We take a closer look at Center Memorial Park, and historic buildings on both sides of Main Street.
> Jaffe and Podrove Building This circa 1920 building is on our walking tours of Downtown Manchester, and despite changes over the years, it still retains much of its historic Colonial Revival architectural details. Manchester's Downtown is on the National Register of Historic Places.
> Laurel Street House One of the stops on the "Hidden Gems" tour has been the shingle-style house where the Blish family used to live. The late Fred Blish III lent the two photos in this flyer to the Historical Society for scanning.
> Probate Court/Hall of Records The Probate Court building at 66 Center Street, built in 1896 and designed by Hapgood & Hapgood architects, is on the Historical Society's tours of the Town Center.
> Odd Fellows Hall This massive building once stood at the corner of Main and East Center Streets and served many purposes until its demolition in 1982. The Odd Fellows was a large fraternal organization earlier in the 20th century.
> Orange Hall This large Colonial Revival style building was erected in 1902 for the Loyal Order of Orange, an Irish Protestant fraternal organization. It is across East Center Street from the Masonic Temple.
> Post Office, Masonic Temple architectural description from Living Places.
> Rubinow Building The building that formerly housed Burtons clothing store and Rubinows store has changed substantially over the years, but on our tours, we can examine what remains from the past, and what has been changed.
> St. Mary's Tiffany Windows One of the stops on the "Hidden Gems" tour is St. Mary's Episcopal Church, whose five antique stained glass windows were designed and crafted by the studio of Louis Comfort Tiffany. The windows were given to St. Mary’s by members of the Cheney family, and restored in 2009.
• HACKMATACK STREET and ENVIRONS
> Bidwell Walk With the publication of E.L. Bidwell's memoirs, the Manchester Historical Society leads walks along the route that young Bidwell took from his home to the old South School.
> The Rogers Mansion Information on the Rogers mansion, which used to stand at 65 Prospect Street, which is along the route of several of the Society's history walks.
> E. Hilliard Obituary This flyer contains the obituary of Elisha Hilliard. Additional information on Hilliardville and the mills can be found in the Manchester Historical Society's web site, by clicking Hilliardville, Then and Now.
• HILLIARD MILLS
> 1956 Gray Manufacturing Strike This flyer is a Manchester Herald article reporting on a 1956 strike by workers at the Gray Manufacturing Company, which at the time was located in the Hilliard Mills building.
• MANCHESTER GREEN
> Pitkin & Woodbridge History Walk The Historical Society leads walking tours in the Manchester Green area of town, which had the first post office, and included the Pitkin Glass Works, whose massive stones remain at Parker and Putnam Street. This flyer describes one of our walking tours.
> Cone carriage works On our Pitkin & Woodbridge walking tour, we pass the former carriageworks of the Cone family, at the corner of East Center and Pitkin Street. This flyer describes the carriage making and includes an obituary of Ralph Cone.
> Woodbridge barn restoration fund The Historical Society is restoring the late-eighteenth-century barn on the Woodbridge Farmstead property and is seeking financial donations for this project. Members and friends who want to contribut can print this flyer and mail with their check to 175 Pine St., Manchester, CT 06040.
• NORTH END
> North End ("Union Village") The North End of Manchester, also known as Union Village, was a lively center of industry starting in the 18th century. Urban redevelopment made massive changes in its historic landscape, but vintage buildings and atmosphere remain. The Historical Society leads periodic hikes in the North End, as well as walking tours along the old Cheney railroad, which ran between the north and south ends of Manchester.
> Cowles Hotel, a fixture in the North End of Manchester.
> Union Pond History Hike -- description of the sights hikers encounter on a loop walk around Union Pond.
> Henry White Family by historian Gladys S. Adams (1910-2001), who researched and wrote on local history topics. The Henry White family owned a stylish home in the North End, part of which is still visible on Old North Main Street, between the "Y" and the library.
> Genealogy of Henry White Family by historian Gladys S. Adams (1910-2001), who researched and wrote on local history topics. More information on the Henry White family.
> "447 Tango Down" playbill for the November 6, 2016 performance at the Historical Society of a one-act play written by Walt Scadden of Manchester. The play was performed during the Sunday afternoon Veterans Day program, which also included original music by Billy Johnson and an opportunity for veterans to speak about their own war-time experience. Playbill designed by Lynn Sottile.
> Red Sandstone and Buckland: History and Pre-History Walk In this walk we learn about the village of Buckland, its interesting trees, and the unique geology of the area, which contrasts dramatically with that of other sections of Manchester such as Highland Park.
> House Research on our website -- resources for information on Manchester houses.
> Joe McCluskey collection donated to the Manchester Historical Society; 2007 press release. Joe (1911-2002) was instrumental in the success of the Manchester Road Race. He was chosen three times for the Olympics.
> "The Old Codger" column about Cheney Mills in Hartford, and the mill Superintendent, Mr. Grant, reminiscences about traveling to Hartford via the old bridge, Keney Park, etc. Includes an explanation of the identity of the Codger column's author -- Knight H. Ferris (1888-1979).
> Potatoes -- a truckload purchased as reported in the October 31, 1911 newspaper.