|Photo||Thumbnail Photo Information...|
| 44 - Photo by Sinch Ofiara, possibly 1964. Can viewers identify the location and
owner of this striking service center?
| 43 - A two-story wooden building erected in 1868 was leveled by fire in December,
1955. The frame structure was owned and operated by the New England Play Pen Company.
December, 1955 photo by Ken Burkamp for the Hartford Courant.
| 42 - Burton's in Downtown Manchester, 2/22/1954 photo by Ken Burkamp.
| 41 - May 28, 1961 Ken Burkamp photo of the Grand Union grocery store at the
Manchester Parkade on West Middle Turnpike.
| 40 - 1923 photo of the construction of Watkins furniture building. Manchester
Construction Company, owned by the Knofla Brothers, which built this Downtown block, the South
Methodist Church, Highland Park School, etc.
| 39 - June 26, 1960 photo by Ken Burkamp with these notes: "House-Hales, Fairway,
and the Cheney Block on Main St., Manchester. In the distance is Murphy Bar and Bowling Alley,
Club 21, and Finast supermarket."
| 38 - Knights of Columbus building, 138 Main Street. Photo by Ken Burkamp on
September 8, 1957. Can anyone identify the men in this picture?
| 37 - The self-serve grocery downstairs in Hale's Department Store, circa 1930s.
(Hale's Department Store was on 2 floors upstairs.) Two loaves of bread for nine cents! Thank you
to Susan Vaughn Harris for donating this picture.
| 36 - An ad in the 1927 Manchester Directory for Bursack Brothers Quality Market
brought back memories to at least one Society member. The page in the Catalog where this ad was
taken from can be accessed from the "Reprints" section of our website by clicking
| 35 - Photo of a Manchester Community College music class, taken by the late Sinch Ofiara (1926-2012). Can anyone identify date, people?
| 34 - Halloween at Nassiff Arms in this November 1, 1958 photo by Ken Burkamp. At
that time, Nassiff Arms (with Nassiff photo shop) was on Main Street and Maple, Downtown. Note
Finast (First National Store), now Webster Bank, on the right side of the picture. Later, both
Nassiff Arms and Nassiff Camera Shop moved further north on Main Street.
| 33 - King's department store photo by Reggie Pinto (1925-2011) for the
Manchester Evening Herald. The photo isn't dated, but it may be after King's moved to
the Parkade from the Cheney mill on Pine Street.
| 32 - John Knoll photo of a parade on Main Street circa 1920. Note the trolley
tracks and note that the first building seen on the right of the photo is still there, but with
only two stories. It was the original Manchester Trust Company and Savings Bank of Manchester.
| 31 - Built by Manchester Construction Company -- the Knofla Brothers -- on Spruce
Street 1925. The building is still there, housing Spruce St. Package Store and a barber shop.
| 30 - Glenney's Men's Shop, Downtown Manchester in a 1926 photo.
| 29 - August 16, 1959 photo by Ken Burkamp of the Garden Restaurant and Grill on Main Street, Downtown. The neon sign in the window says, "Ruppert Knickerbocker."
| 28 - Picture taken by Ken Burkamp on November 6, 1959, of Ansaldi Sand & Gravel operations
on Bidwell Street. (Note the style of the 1950s dump truck!)
| 27 - Photo by the late Sinch Ofiara (1926-2012), pictured in back row, second from left.
Sinch taught photography at MCC for 20 years. This could be the MCC camera club or a photography class?
There's no date. Hope to get more information on this.
| 26 - C. 1940 photo of the interior of Orange Hall, located at 72 East Center Street. Anyone
know the people in the picture? The writing on the lectern: Faith, Hope, & Charity. The Loyal Orange Lodge,
an Irish fraternal organization, still operates Orange Hall and like other fraternal organizations with
large buildings, helps defray its costs by renting out the hall for events.
| 25 - 1961 Photo by Ken Burkamp of the Miller Rexall drug store on Green Road, before the
plaza was built.
| 24 - Ken Burkamp photo of the construction of Illing Jr. High School December 8, 1959. The
front wall is being constructed; a Manchester Sand & Gravel truck pours concrete.
| 23 - Housewares Department in the House & Hale store in Downtown Manchester, corner of Main
and Oak Streets. November 15, 1960 photo by Ken Burkamp.
| 22 - Sylvian Ofiara (1926-2012) took this photo of the State Theatre interior doors for The
Manchester Evening Herald in 1953. The Theatre had undergone a renovation. The building was constructed
in 1926 and is still in use on Main Street as the Full Gospel Interdenominational Church.
| 21 - The old Cheney Store, which used to stand on South Main Street (facing west) at the
corner of Main and Charter Oak Streets. At the time of this April 27, 1960 photo by Ken Burkamp,
Manchester Upholstering occupied the space.
| 20 - Watkins Furniture store, downtown Main Street during a "Saleorama," a joint promotion
with WINF radio. Watkins sold furniture, accessories, pianos, and offered decorating advice, custom
draperies, and carpeting. June 21, 1961 photo by Ken Burkamp.
| 19 - This is a 1973 Herald photo by Sylvian Ofiara of the old Keeney St. one-room schoolhouse.
There were actually 4 schools on Keeney Street at one time or another: This one; a T-shaped wooden building active until the 1950s (click here for its picture on this website); today's brick school (see Keeney School for its website); and the mostly-reproduced schoolhouse next to the Cheney Mansion on Hartford Road (click here for its page on this website). Our concern is with this one.
| 18 - This group is in front of the Second Congregational Church on North Main Street,
Manchester. Bob Harrison, who lent the photo, says it was taken in the 1920s or 1930s, and that he had
received it from Lenore Hibbard, a member of the family who owned the Hibbard Store in the North End.
Photos and info about the Hibbards are on this website at
Hibbard Family. Although
it looks like a choir, some of the women are wearing graduation caps or what look like nurses' caps.
| 17 - Ken Burkamp photo, December 10, 1955. Ken said, "Someone called me to tell me about this
old Model T Ford -- they thought the newspapers might like a picture of it. So I went to the carriage
house, in the rear of the building where the Chamber of Commerce is now [webmaster's note: the former
mansion of Frank Cheney, Jr.] at the corner of Hartford Road and Main Street. The car was found while
someone was doing an inventory of the Cheney property. The car was in great condition."
| 16 - What's special about how these apartments, which are on Rachel Road (off Oakland Street),
came to be built? Their groundbreaking was in April, 1969. Contemporary photo by Susan Barlow.
| 15 - 1961 photo of Jay Rubinow receiving the "M" award from the Manchester Chamber of
Commerce at Fiano's Restaurant in Bolton. The "M" award honored Manchester residents who contributed to
the community. Photo by Ken Burkamp.
Ed. Note: For a complete list, on this web site, of the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce's M
and Community Achievement Award recipients, please click
M and CA Awards.
| 14 - Ken Burkamp took this photo on June 13, 1956, for an article in the Manchester Evening
Herald. Excerpt from the article: "Almost as many pickets were patrolling entrances to the Gray
Manufacturing Co. plant on Hilliard St. this morning as there are workers who might be affected by the
strike, which began Thursday at the firm’s Hartford plant ... There were about 20 pickets present when the
local Gray plant began operations at 8 a.m. today."
| 13 - Ken Burkamp took this Downtown photo on July 23, 1960 from a fire escape at Murphy's.
He notes on the photo, "Choman's Housewrecking takes an 1800s store building down board by board on Oak
Street behind the Circle Theatre, which is at the top center. Top right shows the Gas Light Restaurant
(Oak St. Pub). Just below on the right is the heating plant that served a good part of downtown with
| 12 - This photo shows the Odd Fellows Building, corner of Main and Center Streets, in
Downtown Manchester. Packard's Pharmacy is on the first floor, and the Connecticut Business College is
upstairs. The bunting and uniformed soldiers suggest a WWI victory celebration, but the photo has no
information on the back, other than it was printed by photographer Sylvian Ofiara (1926-2012), who had
glass-plate and other negatives in his collection.
| 11 - Stylized photo of the Corner Soda Shop about 1970 by Paul Barrett. The shop had
entrances both on Main Street and Bissell Street. Inside was a long counter with stools and a few tables.
Staff from The Manchester Herald frequented the Shop.
| 10 - 1961 photo of Center Street, with Cheney railroad trestle in the background, New Street
to the left. Photo by Ken Burkamp.
| 09 - The Triple X store, at the corner of Brainard Place and Downtown Main Street, sold
automobile parts and other items. Ken Burkamp took this photo about 1959.
| 08 - Mary Cheney (1855-1934) in a portrait by Sandra Wakeen in the Mary Cheney Library. The
portrait was created from an early photo of "Miss Mary."
| 07 - Community Baptist Church being built, corner of East Middle Turnpike and East Center
Streets. Photo by Ken Burkamp on October 16, 1958.
| 06 - The Kissman Farm on East Middle Turnpike in a 1961 photo by Ken Burkamp. The pictured
farm was “up just a little from where the old Motts was. This Kissman family owned much of the land that
became the Green Manor development. The house was taken down years ago."
| 05 - This lady with her bicycle is a mystery to photo owner Bob Harrison. Can anyone
help identify her and the building on the left side of the photo?
| 04 - Workers put a wrecked train back on the tracks in this March 30, 1958 photo by Ken
| 03 - Photo by Ken Burkamp of the 1957 "Made in Manchester" Product Show at the Manchester
Armory on Main Street near Haynes Street. The Findell Manufacturing Company's booth shows a variety of
| 02 - This photo shows midtown Manchester – a shopping area on Main Street near the corner of
Middle Turnpike. Ken Burkamp took this photo on February 22, 1958.
| 01 - This 1967 picture of Muhammad Ali was taken by Ken Burkamp, a photographer for more than
50 years, when Ali visited local radio station WINF.